Monday, February 11, 2013

Natural Cleaning

As my little man is crawling around now- with his cute tummy scraping the floor- I realize I don't want to be using harsh chemicals like bleach on the floor and comet in the tub where he bathes.  After doing some official research on Pinterest I found tons of great links to natural cleaning supplies.

The first I found was homemade laundry soap.  I am using up my current soap and then I will be trying this recipe.  I have found several online that make multiple gallons and you need a 5 gallon bucket to let it soak overnight.  I am not ready to commit to 5 gallons of laundry soap, so this recipe only makes a gallon at a time.  Perfect!  It also uses Dawn soap which I have found to be super effective.  You can also add essential oils for scent and to make it antibacterial/antifungal (like tea tree oil).  The biggest bonus for me is the savings. Many mommas on these blogs did the math for me and found regular detergant like Tide, Arm & Hammer, ect are .15-.20 cents a load, and this is .03-.05 cents depending on how much you use.  Who can beat that?
http://www.onegoodthingbyjillee.com/2012/02/no-grate-homemade-laundry-soap.html

homemade-laundry-1.22.13
The next one is my absolute favorite.  Vinegar.  The end.  This stuff is amazing for cleaning everything.  I deep cleaned our house Saturday and used just straight vinegar and also a vinegar/dawn spray.  Vinegar is naturally antibacterial, non toxic, edible, and dang cheap.  It can be used directly on counters, floors, sinks, mirrors, a rinse aid in the laundry, microwave, stove, tables, and anything else you need to clean.  For amazing shower grime cleaner I use 1/2 cup really hot vinegar and 1/2 cup dawn dish soap in a spray bottle. Spray the grime, let sit for a bit while you clean the rest of the bathroom and just wipe it off!  Simple as that.  No scrubbing with comet or stinky fumes.  (except as my mom says your house may smell like pickles)  :)

Here is a link: http://lifecraftsandwhatever.blogspot.com/2012/01/dawn-vinegar-soap-scum-killa.html

This next one I want to try soon.  I did some reading on dryer sheets (like Bounce) and found known carcinogens in them.  Cancer causing agents.  um--no thanks.  Now I do realize that everything from makeup to processed food probably has some of this crap in them, but if I can omit them easily and inexpensivly, why not?!  Enter Dryer Balls:

http://www.imperfecthomemaking.com/2011/04/homemade-wool-dryer-balls.html

These dryer balls are made of wool yarn that has been washed and dried a couple times to felt it and make it stick together.  Then you can add a few drops of any essential oil  you'd like and toss them in your dryer.  The lady on the link above says that it decreases her drying time too.  Awesome.  Dryer sheets are expensive anyway, and using a Joann's, Michael's or Hobby Lobby coupon you can get wool yarn for just a few dollars.

I am really not trying to go all Hippy on you (although i'm sure it really sounds like it), but my perspective has changed SO MUCH after having my sweet little Eli, and I want to do anything I can to protect him.  These things are amazingly inexpensive and much safer to have in your home. I know I can't protect Him from everything, but I feel it is my job as a mom to protect him from what I can, and these are so easy!  Now don't get me started on vaccinations.  I spent the entire summer after Eli was born researching and talking to my mom about them.  I have some strong opinions on the poison they use in these immunizations.  I'll save that for another post ;)

Let me know if you try any of these and have success!  My pickle smelling house sure is clean thanks to these!

4 comments:

  1. I'm interested in your vaccinations opinions. I think I feel the very same way...but I'm curious about your thoughts with you being a nurse and all? ?? Anyways, Eli is adorable and it looks like he's a good little laundry helper too. I am excited for the day when James can load up his little piles of laundry in his tonka truck and wheel them into his room :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well.... I am only giving Eli the vaccines required by the state for school (and I'm not too happy that varicella is required either). I do the dtap, polio, and will do mmr. I don't think it is necessary to give the hep b since he is not going to come in contact with anything that carries it, especially at only a few months old. I do not get the flu shot and don't give it to him ( which contains highest levels of thimerisol or mercury). The hib and pneumococcal are such new vaccines I am not comfortable giving those to him either. There have not been enough studies done on them to make me feel that the ingredients are safe. I also only do 1 vaccine at a time. The office said I have to wait 6 weeks between each vaccine, then why in earth do they think its okay to give 5+ vaccines at one time? That is a lot of poison to be putting into these tiny bodies, and for no good reason. I do feel that some vaccines will protect his life like the polio and tetanus, but so many are just "a good idea" as the doctors say. But because most vaccines are less than 70% effective I feel the risks outweigh any possible benefit. And when the baby receives these shots they send you home with a paper warning you of fevers, sore legs, vomiting, irritability. That can't be good! Whew. I think I covered most of the things I am most passionate about ;) I would love to hear your opinions though!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with you. James has actually only had one shot so far. He got the dtap at his nine month check up because whooping cough is going around in our ward. I left the dr. office just hoping that he wouldn't have an allergic reaction. With his heart condition I didn't want to overload his poor little system with vaccines. I read a book called The Vaccine Book by Dr. Sears and it is the most non-biased book I have ever read. It goes through the disease and then reasons to get the vaccine and reasons to not get the vaccine. I agreed with all of the reasons to not get the vaccines. I will probably vaccinate for polio but not for a while, when James' immune system is a little more developed. There is also a waiver that can be signed for schools if you don't want to vaccinate at all. I might end up home schooling though depending on where we live. That's another story though. I wasn't really concerned about autism, just that 30+ vaccines for a tiny little baby is pretty much ridiculous. I am grateful for the discovery of the smallpox vaccine, but I think the vaccine business has gotten a little out of hand and it's causing diseases that weren't serious to change into more serious less-treatable diseases even for those who do get the vaccine. Kind of scary. I am also grateful for prayer and revelation. I asked everyone I knew about vaccines, and was still confused about what to do. My mom just kept telling me to pray about it. Smart mama :) Anyways, I'll be done now. Good to know there are other moms out there just like me who just don't go with the crowd because it's recommended :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. you both are very wise and have lots of good insite about immunizations. i have strong feelings about a government that forces mass medication on all people.... fluoride in water, chicken pox (goodness, those little scars are like battle marks and signs of bravery) and hep A,B,and C on new borns. seriously, where is the common sense for all of this. there has to be a huge monetary benefit for someone to be pushing immunizations for all kids and to the extent that they are now. why else would it be such an issue. the medical industry puts tremendous pressure to conform, follow the masses, just believe every bit of propaganda they feed you and don't like to be questioned or challenged. so for you to stand up for your babies is admirable and i support you 1000%. be assertive. be proactive. be protective. be the guardian of your children and don't leave it to 'those who think they know'

    ReplyDelete