Thursday, May 8, 2014

Mini Laundry Room Make Over




When my mom was here we took a little break and organized my laundry room (tiny apartment closet).  And as usual, I forgot to take a before picture.  It honestly wasn't bad because everything was in some type of basket, but they were all different sizes and over flowing.  I have been making my homemade laundry soap for over a year now and have loved it!!  I decided to test out a dry version using Zote, and its equally as good, maybe even better since it contains oxy clean. 


 


Sorry for the terrible lighting, its in a hallway with no light.  We picked up these awesome wire and fabric lined baskets from Walmart!  They have a chalkboard square to write what's in it.  It seems much more organized to me! 

Okay here is the link to the liquid laundry soap:
http://www.onegoodthingbyjillee.com/2013/03/super-concentrated-no-grate-liquid-laundry-detergent.html

It uses dawn dish soap, washing soda, and borax.  Simple. I add those yummy smelling unstoppable things and keep it stored in an empty juice jug.  Its sooo cheap to make. Like a couple pennies a load.

  One batch uses .25$ for Dawn, .25$ for washing soda, and .50$ for Borax.  That  makes it 1.00 a batch which works for about 40-50 loads using 1/4 cup or a bit more per load.  That's 2 pennies a load.  Um WOW!

If you prefer powdered detergent I tried that too.

Here is the dry detergent:
http://www.onegoodthingbyjillee.com/2013/02/homemade-laundry-detergent-trial-size-version.html

I had tried a batch using Fels Naptha, but I didn't like how hard it was to grate, and I didn't care for the smell.  Zote grates easier than cheese, and smells way better.  Plus its pink, and who doesn't feel happy when washing with pink soap :)

I halfed the amount of oxy clean in the recipe, and ended up using the whole jar from the Dollar Tree.  Awesome Oxyclean bleach for 1$ is a pretty amazing deal.  Oh, and if you make this I subbed Zote for the Fels Naptha, so you actually use 1/3 of the Zote bar instead of one Fels Naptha.   FYI.

One batch makes 70 loads, give or take when using 2Tbs per load.  It cost about 5$ for one batch (which was exactly this jar full).  So that's roughly 7 cents a load.  Wait, seriously?!?!  Yea!  Regular laundry detergent (Tide, All, ect) is 15 cents a load at the cheapest price on sale with coupons.

So its not a crazy difference, but it is nice to know what goes into your laundry soap, and it just makes me feel a little proud of myself that I can make laundry detergent! 



3 comments:

  1. my baskets are ordered, i have the washing soda and borax, so i am well on my way to my laundry re do also. i am excited to be able to copy most of the things you did for your space which is comparable to the space i have in our wee little house but it will be a nice improvement. your laundry area looks so nice now that its too bad you can't keep the doors to it open all the time and let your friends who stop by take a look at what you did. what an inspiration you are to me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cute. I saw those baskets a bit ago, and thought they were cute. It's so fun to have family visit! I didn't know your brother got married. Congratulations to him. Eli's party looked fun. And, yay for eating!! It is amazing how everything can be so stressful as a parent. Mark that one off your list, ha.

    ReplyDelete
  3. He's actually gettin mArried in august! So right after Alaska we are headed to San Diego for a quick little wedding :D

    ReplyDelete