Saturday, June 18, 2011

Rewards of nursing

A lot of people laugh when they hear that I am a urology nurse.  I laughed too when I first thought about it. I have really come to enjoy being a nurse, no matter what field I work in. I remember a few very sweet patients from my nursing home job.  Even though I thought the job itself was awful, I will remember those sweet patients. 

But on Friday at work after taking care of a patient who we have seen multiple times and has had several surgeries, a very sweet thing happened.  He and his wife were just leaving around 5:30 that night, and he came up to me and gave me a huge bear hug!  Mind you he is much smaller than me and 71 years old.  he wrapped his little arms around me and said, "Thank you, Thank you Liz."  Which really sounded more like, "Tank you tank you Leeez."  But he was so grateful that we were taking care of him.  It softened my heart.  Even though I deal with getting peed on and all sorts of other things, it is so worth it to know that I am helping someone's grandma, or child, or family member who truly needs help.

1 comment:

  1. good nurses are born, not made. you were called to this job long before you knew it and will forever be there to give help and comfort and calmness in a disaster because it is part of who you are. your education will help prepare you for what you heart knows already how to do. it comes in handy ever single day no matter what you are doing....

    ReplyDelete