Thursday, September 29, 2011

The Purpose of Visiting Teaching

I have never had consistent visiting teachers.  They will come once or twice and then move or forget to come and I won't see them again.  I still haven't been visited by ours, in Utah and that's ok.  For a while I felt that it was something I was doing for them to not want to visit.  Maybe I was too shy and it came off as snobby, or because I was busy made them think I didn't have time for them, I don't know the answer.  Instead of being sad that nobody is coming to see me, I changed my mindset and contacted my current visiting teaching companion.  We have taught our 3 sisters for two months in a row now.  I know that two months is nothing, but I have not been strong in visiting teaching, and in my defense we just got our list of sisters.

It feels so good to take time out of my busy life and schedule to just sit and visit with these sweet sisters.  Two of the sisters have 1 month old babies, and we love to google at the babies.  The other sweet girl we teach does not have kids yet, so the three of us have other things in common like being newly weds, college students and graduates, ect. 

As the three of us sat and visited tonight I felt the spirit very very quietly confirm to me that I was assigned to be with these girls for a reason.  We were able to open up to each other (even though we were meeting for the first time) and discuss struggles, trials, spiritual blessings and feelings, and the gospel.  It was wonderful to share things with these girls and feel so connected to them. 

I know that visiting teaching truly is a divine calling.  I needed the guidance of having certain sisters, and I love them already.  My mom has taught me a sweet lesson that you don't need to only teach the sisters on your little paper list, but follow inspiration to teach whoever needs a visit, or who you need to befriend.  I am excited to work on this part of the gospel, and have my testimony strengthened more.

1 comment:

  1. it would be very appropriate and strengthening to you and perhaps even many others if you would write your experience about RSVT and send it to sister allred. share these things and how simply seeing her bright smile that sunday after the general broadcoast brought about a change of heart for you about how relief society applies to your life right now. you are so wise to recognize the confirmation of the spirit regarding this calling and how it is a divinely inspired program for sisters to help each other. you teach me by your sweet example. i love you.

    ReplyDelete