Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Comparison Is The Thief of Joy

I find myself doing this almost everyday.
 Usually when I am on some social media site.
 I bet nearly every girl does it too, without even thinking much about it.

I compare myself to others.  I compare my worst to their best.  I look at their pictures online of them standing at the end of a half marathon looking happy and accomplished, not even a drop of sweat on their skin, or a sweet family camping together with happy kids and perfect golden smores, or a family and their beautiful perfect family at church without banana or crackers on their shirt.  It doesn't matter what it is, I compare myself to them thinking why am I not in shape so I can run a half marathon, why don't we go camping more often, why do I always look like I never shower and am covered in baby food?

I look at these beautiful pictures and then compare it to when I am at my lowest point in life.  WHY?  I have wonderful things in my family, and every family out there has great things happening in their lives.  Just because its not on a social media site where everyone can "like" or comment, doesn't make it important.




I just ordered a journal called "One Line A Day"  I have been terrible at keeping updated in a journal, so this was a good solution for me.  It has room for just a few lines everyday, and can be used for 5 years.

  This will really help me to write something down EVERY day (just a few words or lines) to remind myself of the events that happened.  Even something as simple as Eli falling asleep on our walk which I always find so sweet, or going to the zoo, or visiting with a best friend.  I can relish in my moments of happiness and stop comparing myself to others.

My goal for myself this year has been to 'Simplify'.  My life, my home, my desires, and family.  I am not able to read my scriptures everyday, write in my journal daily, go the the Temple weekly, and visit teach  several families each month.  I do what I can, and I am okay with that.  I am simplifying expectations of myself and learning to accept myself and be happy with my best.

So long story short, don't compare yourself to others, its demeaning and unfair.  Be the best version of you!


4 comments:

  1. i love this idea. i was never keen on the idea of keeping a journal "today i wore my brown shoes and had toast and jelly for breakfast" duh! but i have kept a journal for some time now of important 'one liners' or thoughtful short messages i hear along the way. from the book 'quiet' by susan cain she says "there's zero correlation between being the best talker and having the best idea"... we often allow the best talker to out-blast our good ideas. so enjoy the babyfood on your clothes, it shows you are a mommy involved with your baby. these fabulous glowing people at the end of the marathon aren't at the same time trying to build a fire and make perfect smores and wear their plastic smiles to church in uncomfortable stylish clothes. we can't sing all the verses of the song at the same time... sometimes it is all you can do to listen to someone else sing.. your turn will come but in the meantime (alma 29:3) But behold, I am a man, and do sin in my wish; for I ought to be content with the things which the Lord hath allotted unto me. p.s. it is so great when you no longer spend any time thinking of what other people think of you, but only what god thinks of you! love you, mom

    .

    ReplyDelete
  2. I seriously live by that quote, "Comparison is the thief of joy." Haven't I said that to you before at some point or another? I, too, do the same thing and compare my worst with someone's best and then get down on myself. One thing I have to remember is that in my P-blessing it talks multiple times about how The Lord made each one of His sons and daughters different and that it's a great thing! We are meant to compliment each other with our strengths and weaknesses. It teaches us to rely on each other and most importantly to rely on The Lord. I can't wait to see you this Saturday! Love you heaps!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Crystal I first heard it from you then it just stuck in the back of my mind for a few months. I don't always remember it when I should, but I try ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm SO glad it stuck with you! I try to remind myself often too!

      Delete