Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Martha and Mary

Today when Eli and I were playing we were listening to scripture scouts (scriptures stories for kids) and a story was taught that caught my attention. It was of Mary and Martha. It is found in the New Testament in Luke. Mary is sitting at Jesus' feet listening to him and Martha is busy cleaning the home and preparing for Christ. Christ says to Martha, "thou art troubled and careful about many things; but one thing is needful and Mary hath chosen that good part"

It hit me because lately I have been so busy being troubled by things such as jobs, moving, finances, taking care of Eli, and then cleaning and cooking that I forgot what the most important things are.

I need to straighten my priorities and put The Lord first. I need to symbolically kneel at his feet and listen to his words, by reading the scriptures and praying more. The cooking and cleaning can be done later, and are not as pressing as I think they are. Sometimes I get too busy that I don't listen to those small promptings. Luckily we can always try again the next day!


1 comment:

  1. this is a good story but i think it is also about balance. do you think that christ would have been as comfortable in a dirty, noisy, cluttered house as in an orderly home. not a fancy dancy place, but one of peace and quiet and happiness. the woods are quiet so you can meditate and feel his presence there. the temple is clean and bright so it invites his light to be there. it is also about choosing two good things that are necessary - food for the body which martha was preparing and food for the soul which mary was seeking. this food for the soul "which shall not be taken away from her" lasts longer and no one can take from you. but the physical needs must be met (the cooking and cleaning) to create a place for the spirit to be at home. balance is the key.

    ReplyDelete