Wednesday, December 10, 2014

Bink Free

Its been 3 weeks now so I feel its safe to say we are BINK FREE!!!!

Since moving into the new house I had lost 5 out of the 6 pacifiers we had at one time.  I knew the day was coming when I would lose it too and I didn't want to buy more.  So in the meantime I worked to wean him down to only sleeping.  He hasn't had it when he was awake and happy for months, but then we got rid of it in the car or when he was upset.  Then it was just bed time and naps.
I went to a cub scout meeting and forgot my phone at home.  I didn't remember that I had the pacifier in my pocket so Bryan went to put Eli down and couldn't find a spare one.  He did the usual routine of reading stories and tucking him in, and left him without one.  And guess what?! Eli didn't even ask for it.  Can you believe that?  He woke up when I came home so I went in and sang a few songs and he fell back asleep. Since then he will occasionally ask for his bink, but we will distract him or just say we're done with it.  He has never shed a tear about it.  Not one.  I am still somewhat in shock.

The only bad thing about getting rid of it is that he won't nap during the day.  The first few days it was because he really struggled to get comfortable without it and settle down.  But now he's out of the habit.  It is actually okay since he has been going to bed soo well.  We brush teeth, say prayers, read stories, gets tucked in and he's out in minutes.

So for those mommies considering getting rid of their kiddo's pacifier, I really don't have any tips since Eli did all the work! But I am so glad to be able to go anywhere and not worrying about forgetting it, and not having it be something Eli can whine about.  I feel free!! 


 

1 comment:

  1. every kid is different and every mom has an opinion about pacifiers. don't even bother to ask most moms their opinions because you can tell from their expression when they see a kid or baby with one what they think. like potty training, when the kid is ready it usually isn't rocket science. just be in tune with the kid and keep offering options....

    ReplyDelete