Sunday, February 12, 2012

Spring Eggs

I tested my hand at making "spring eggs" to decorate our counter.  I didn't want them just for Easter so I tried to make them spring colors.  Here are my paint choices.  The whole project cost about 7 dollars.  The paint was about 1 $ each, the moss was 2$ (for a nest) and the eggs were pretty cheap (Hobby Lobby of course!)
I used big and small plastic eggs and dumped them into a jar to measure about how many I wanted to paint.
 I painted them 1/2 at a time so I could hold them and not get finger prints on everything.  This is where I got a little messy.  They stuck a little to my cutting board and some of the paint peeled off, but for a quick project I didn't care too much. 
 These are all the colors I used.  I painted each half, then when that was dry, painted over the whole thing to try to smooth it out.  using acrylic paint on cheap plastic eggs was a little tricky, but lots of coats of paint helped the process.
 
 After they dried I dipped an old toothbrush (Bryan asked if I was using his) in brown paint and splattered and spotted the eggs.  I think next time I will water down the paint a big and splatter it on over all of them, but this worked great. 

 Here are a few eggs snuggle in their nest.  I bought the moss/grass stuff at Hobby Lobby and molded it into the shape of a nest. 
 Ready for spring!  I have tomorrow off so I am going to be working on another spring craft tomorrow that i'm really excited about!!!

1 comment:

  1. Cute eggs. We had fun seeing you guys. My kids look so unkempt at the party! I like the baby bump picture (although I feel we are about the same size). Can't wait for this little one to come!

    ReplyDelete