Sunday, April 15, 2012

Wheat Grass

Our tiny apartment needed a splash of green to welcome in Spring.  I bought some wheat berries and started growing wheat grass!  Although it only lasts for a month or so before it starts to turn brown, it was really fun to grow! 

I went to WINCO and bought 1/2 cup wheat berries.  I layered rocks then soil in 99 cent tin buckets from Ikea.  These do not have holes in the bottom which is what I wanted, because I didn't want any leaks!  I soaked the wheat berries in water for 24 hours until they had little tiny white buds on the ends, then I sprinkled them on top of the soil and covered with a bit of water and plastic wrap to create a minature green house.



After two days of growing they had little sprouts, then about 4 days later below

Keep watering every day and keep them in indirect sunlight!




then you have grass!  Once it starts growing you can move it to wherever you want to display it.  I kept ours on our counter in the kitchen to brighten things up a bit.  And you can trim their "hair" about once a week when it gets shaggy :)

2 comments:

  1. have you ever cooked wheat berries and eaten them like cereal? they are pretty good but take a while to cook so soak them first. can you chop up the sprouted stuff and eat it like alfalfa sprouts?? the bright green is a beautiful color. what is the next project for the buckets?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have eaten wheat berries with you! the sprouts you can chop and eat, and are very good for you. Jamba juice uses them in smoothies. I don't know what to do with the buckets now!!

    ReplyDelete