Sunday, June 23, 2013

How I Afford To Be A Stay At Home Mom

Bryan is an incredible teacher. He truly loves his career and enjoys seeing those kids learn. With that said, the pay is not so hot.

We both worked full time after graduating from college for about 2 years. We lived off his salary and saved mine.  Now, almost 4 years after getting married, I stay at home full time with Eli. I wouldn't change  this for anything, but I have learned a few things on how to save money and live off one modest salary.

1. I use all homemade soaps and cleaners.  Laundry soap, dish detergent, multi purpose cleaner, ect.  Vinegar and water are my cleaning basics along with some inexpensive essential oils. I LOVE my homemade laundry soap. It smells great, works fantastic, and I love that it truly costs a few pennies a load.

2. We don't buy things at full price.  Clothing is usually purchased on clearance at old navy, target, or kohls.  Food is purchased with store brands, managers specials, and sale items.

3.  Coupons! I am just starting to get into coupons, but I am loving saving money on things we need to like toilet paper, toothbrushes, toothpaste, ect.

4. Hand me downs for kiddos and furniture.  For the first 2 years everything in our apartment was a hand me down or Craig's list item.  It gave us everything we needed at the time, and the chance to slowly purchase new things on great deals.  I didn't have to buy Eli clothes until he was 7-8 months old! We had amazing hand me downs from sister in laws and baby shower gifts went a long way.

5. Cook from scratch.  I have leavened to love making homemade bread, biscuits, rolls, buns, gravy, soups, and endless deserts and treats.  It's not only satisfying knowing I have the skills to cook from scratch, but it saves so much money.

6.  Inexpensive dates. It doesn't cost much at all to share a snow cone and play at the park, go fishing, hike together, and cook dinner with friends. Dates don't need to be 30$ dinners and 15$ movies every week. We try to get creative and have so much fun exploring our town.

7. Keep a flexible budget. I have budgeting last because I am not good at it at all. I keep track of what we spend and that is just as good as a budget to me.  I am able to track if we are spending too much on gas, toiletries, clothing, ect.

8.  Get creative! It's very rewarding when I can make Eli a shirt out of an old worn out shirt of Bryan's, or re use sheets or old fabric for new kitchen towels, pot holders, clothing for me, or whatever.

1 comment:

  1. you are living the life of being exactly as the woman in proverbs 31:10-31. it is a beautiful passage of scripture and if you haven't memorized it, then read it a dozen times and see what fits and what you still have to learn. i admire you for your humility and creativity and for finding joy in life and for cheerfully sharing this learning experience with others. you are a model for many to follow but it has come a step at a time and can be overwhelming if you try and do it all at once. i am still learning and you inspire me to keep trying.... love you, mom

    ReplyDelete